How To Become A Host Family
If you meet the criteria to host and you’re ready to get started, here’s what you can expect:
- Complete a phone interview and fill out your application online.
- An AIEP representative will come to your home to meet with you and take pictures of the
common areas and the bedroom where the international student will stay. We’ll also
conduct a background check (statewide & nationwide criminal & sex offender checks)
and call references.
- Based on the information provided by you, we’ll build a profile of your household to
share with students’ natural families.
- We work with natural families and their agents to match each student to a household,
based on your application and house visit as well as our students’ applications and
Skype interviews. The final placement decision is determined solely by the student’s
- If you are selected to host a student, we will notify you with a confirmation email. (All
AIEP students are sufficiently fluent in English to succeed in a U.S. classroom.)
- Once a match is made, we will reach out to you to discuss logistics and timing. Students
generally arrive in mid-August for the fall semester and mid-January for the spring
If you are not selected to host a student at the beginning of the semester, keep in mind that we
maintain a list of back-up Host Families in the (rare) event that a student needs to be moved
due to a family emergency or change in living circumstances for the host family. If you would
like to be on the back-up list, let us know.
Throughout the process, we are in touch with you about your progress and what you can expect
next. If you have more questions about becoming a host family, please don’t hesitate to contact